By Jackie Fletcher, Features Editor, and Hailey Hartnett, Staff Writer
Trinity Hall’s Semi-Formal Dance is just around the corner. Before you hit the dancefloor on Dec. 5, here are some tips to looking and feeling your best so you can focus on sharing lots of fun and laughter with your friends that night!
How to: Know Where to Shop
- Go to some of your favorite stores – you know what you like best.
- If you don’t have any favorite stores, the mall is usually the best place to start. Here are some suggestions for stores that sell semi-formal dresses:
- Lord and Taylor
- Abercrombie and Fitch
- Charlotte Russe
- Forever 21
How to: Choose a Hairstyle
- As previously stated, you know you the best. Choose a hairstyle that you love, and that makes you feel confident!
- If you don’t have a preference, here are some simple, fun, and super cute hairstyles that are perfect to dance the night away in. For more information on how to do these hairstyles for yourself, visit www.seventeen.com!
~ Chic Ponytail: A classic favorite. This hairstyle, which displays your long, luscious locks, lets you dance effortlessly without worrying about your hair flying all over the place.
~ Twisting Updo: This hairstyle will definitely turn heads! Perfect for dancing and showing off your dress, this hairstyle beautifully organizes your hair.
~ Cool, Calm Curls: This ‘do helps convey a relaxed, fun and free mood that looks fabulous with any dress design.
~ Sophisticated Updo: This hairstyle is perfect for dancing since your hair will never be in the way and requires little maintenance throughout the night. Additionally, this helps show off your dress if it has a unique back or front design.
~ Bling Braid: This relaxed but sophisticated style adds some sparkle to your hair to jazz up your outfit…and your night!
How to: Choose the Complete Outfit
- Try everything on altogether: the dress, the shoes, the accessories. Do not wait until the day of the dance only to find that you do not like something!
- Make sure that nothing is itchy or uncomfortable. The key to having an awesome night is being comfortable.
- Love yourself in it! Who cares what anyone else thinks? If you love it, everyone else will, too.
- Find a dress that compliments your body type whether it be an A-line style, a fit and flare dress, or any of the countless options.
- The key to finding the perfect pair of shoes is similar to that of finding the perfect dress, but most importantly make sure they are comfortable. Remember, you’ll be dancing and standing in them for hours! Be sure to find a pair of shoes that fit your personal style and your dress style; try to pick shoes that match or compliment the color scheme of your dress. If you want some extra height, choose a wedge or comfortable heel. If you don’t want to be taller and prefer a more comfortable alternative, choose a flat shoe such as a sandal.
- Accessorize! If this isn’t your style, then there is no need to add anything extra. However, if you want to add a little something to your outfit, spruce it up with some jewelry. Bracelets, rings, watches, earrings, necklaces and clutches are the perfect addition to any outfit. Again, choose accessories that compliment the mood and color scheme of your dress.
- Don’t forget the most important component of your outfit – YOU! As long as you have fun and feel great, nothing else matters!
How to: Find a Date
- Remember, a date is NOT required and is certainly not needed for you to have a fun time at the dance, so don’t stress if you don’t have one yet. Fly solo and have the time of your life with everyone there!
- Another excellent date-free option is to go with a group of friends from school. Just go with your own all-girl #squad like the celebrities do and make fun memories together.
- If you want to have a male date, you can simply ask one of your guy friends; no commitments needed. Having one of your friends there might even make it more fun.
- If you don’t have any male friends you want to take, then ask one of your classmates to set you up. Maybe their date has a friend who wants to go, too, or they have a neighbor or middle school friend who would be a perfect date for you.
- Use this opportunity to ask that boy you’ve had a crush on for forever. A school dance is the perfect excuse to ask a guy to do something together outside of your normal routine.
- Remember, asking a boy to the dance is not the biggest deal in the world and will not make or break your social life. The dance was created for you to have fun with friends inside and outside of the Trinity Hall community. So, don’t stress about the whole date thing…whether you have one or not, just go to the dance and enjoy being YOU!
One thought on “The Ultimate Guide to an Amazing Semi-Formal Dance”
You have shared some useful things that we really need to know. Most of the time we lost to select a dress or other accessories. Now I will try to follow that said in your article. And big thanks for sharing your thought with us.